Welcome to another part in the series of Facebook design tutorials. In the previous post, we have covered the overview of Facebook Ad Image. Now, let’s learn how to adjust your Facebook profile image to optimize your brand identity.
1. Why is Facebook profile image important?
After Facebook cover image, the next most prominent feature of every Facebook account and business page is the profile picture. Just like your cover image, the profile image is always public.
The bigger Facebook cover image together with the smaller profile image act as the identity for a brand on Facebook.
But there is one aspect that makes the profile image very crucial or maybe even more important than the cover image.
Unlike cover image, which is only seen when an user visits the brand page, the Facebook profile image appears every time there is an activity on Facebook by your brand. In that regard, the Facebook profile image gets repeatedly viewed by the users. Over a period of time, Facebook users start identifying a brand directly from the profile picture.
Here are the places where a profile image appears on Facebook
- The News feed of your followers
- Posts on your page’s Timeline
- When you reply to comments.
- Comments that you make & posts which you share on other pages while using your page
- Top left to the Cover photo on your Timeline
Because of the reasons mentioned above, the Facebook profile image is one of the most powerful images being used on Facebook and has an excellent application as a brand identifying feature.
Types of profile images on Facebook
- Profile image for a personal Facebook account.
- Profile image for a Business/Brand or Fan Page account.
2. Profile Image for a Personal Facebook Account
Image Guidelines for Facebook Profile Image (Personal Account)
- Must be at least 180 x 180 pixels or more when uploading.
- The photo will appear on the page as 160 x 160 pixels on the desktop, 140 x 140 on smartphones, and 50 x 50 on most feature phones.
- Photo thumbnail will appear throughout Facebook timeline at 32 x 32 pixels.
3. Profile Image for a Facebook Business Page
Image Guidelines for Facebook Profile Image (Business Page)
- Must be at least 180 x 180 pixels while uploading.
- Design your original image squarely (ideally 340 x 340 or 500 x 500) for the best results after uploading the image to Facebook.
- The photo will appear on the page as 180 x 180 pixels on the desktop, 128 x 128 on smartphones, and 36 x 36 on most feature phones.
- Photo thumbnail will appear throughout Facebook at 32 x 32 pixels. (when you comment, share posts & in the newsfeed of your readers.)
- Business Page images will be cropped to fit a square. If the original image is not square, then after uploading the profile image will get cropped to 180 x 180 and you will not like to have a cropped image as your profile image.
- You get the option to Re-position the picture after you upload the image. But to get the best results it better to follow the 3rd point above.
- If the pictures are too small (100 x 100) then it will get blurred on bigger screens.
At DesignBold we try to maintain the correct configurations of the pictures and also a balance between the cover image and the profile picture.
4. How to create a good profile image for your brand?
Till now we discussed the types of Facebook profile images. When dealing with Facebook profile images we have a very small area to play around.
Therefore, with such a limited size, it gets difficult to decide on a good profile image for the brand.
Here are some of the points that you should consider while you take a decision on a profile image for your Facebook business page.
Understand and follow the size configurations of the profile images and design strictly
We have already discussed the display sizes of the Facebook profile image on various devices. Just to recap the specifications in the context of this section.
Desktop/Larger Screens: 180 x 180 px
Smartphones: 128 x 128 px
Size on the timeline (in Desktops and Mobile Screens): 32 x 32 px
So, to maintain the clarity of the profile image and also to prevent the Facebook system to crop your photos from the odd sides, always design and upload a Facebook profile image of dimensions 340 x 340 px, 400 x 400 px, 500 x 500 px or 800 x 800 px.
Use DesignBold to solve this seemingly complex issue. Here it is how you can design a correct sized Facebook profile image in a matter of minutes.
Go to DesignBold layout collections and choose “Facebook Avatar.”
Select among tonnes of pre-built designer layouts. Upload your own logo or images. You can also start from scratch by adding texts/design elements on a blank canvas.
Upload the image to your Facebook business page account. While uploading you will notice that it perfectly fits the Facebook image cropping tool.
Save the picture, and your new Facebook profile image is ready in 4 steps.
Follow the concept of Minimalism
Minimalism is a virtue in the world of designing, and if there is any scenario where it is most required, then it is while designing a Facebook profile image.
Here are the points of minimalism that you must follow for a Facebook profile image:
Decide what is important for your brand and proceed as per that.
Do not clutter unnecessary design elements. Do not make your brand profile image like a puzzle to solve. People would not remember will lose it in the crowds of their Facebook newsfeed.
Do not run wild with colors. Whatever be the background (if you choose one) then make sure that the name, symbol or logo of your brand is clearly visible on top of the background.
Make your brand name or logo prominent
This is one trick that all the big companies and media houses use. They put a lot of emphasis on their brand logo and take great efforts to make sure that the logo is clearly visible and recognizable to the fans in their busy Facebook news feed.
Check out the profile images of some of the top brands in both large and small screens.
Reebok Profile Image on Desktop & Mobile
The white background, simple design and focus on the logo makes Reebok profile image stand out and recognizable in various devices even if the size changes.
Marvel Profile Images on Desktop & Mobile
The black background and contrasting color of texts make the profile image identifiable even within the crowd of newsfeed posts.
At DesignBold we follow the principles of minimalism while using a Facebook profile image for our page. With the aim to make our brand logo and the tagline prominent we use a white background.
Do not change your profile image frequently
Be consistent with your Facebook profile image. Take your time to get the perfect profile picture as per your liking and then upload it.
Once you start using a particular picture as the Facebook profile image, then stop changing it every now and then.
The primary use of the facebook profile image is brand identification while the users are browsing the Facebook. If you keep changing the Facebook profile image for your brand every month, then it can have an adverse impact on your reach.
The photo that you should change periodically is the Facebook cover image of your brand page to announce new offers and releases.
The Facebook profile image is small in size but big in the application. It is the only image of your brand that will be visible in all the devices and also in all the scenarios of using Facebook.
Therefore, it is not something that can be taken lightly. The simple fact that the Facebook profile image is the only picture of your brand that is seen by everyone who uses Facebook, makes it the ultimate branding powerhouse. Postplanner in one of their articles state that the Facebook profile image is, in fact, more important than the cover image.
If you want to design an awesome profile picture for your brand quick and easy, then you can check out the layout library of Facebook profile image on DesignBold.